Monday, September 19, 2022

My slippery friend


I am always amazed at what I can create.
I know I have an idea of what it will look like when I'm done, but sometimes I get a real surprise.
Most of the time, I love what I paint.
There are those times though when nothing we do as an artist seems 
to be done correctly or to our satisfaction.
Most artists are critical of their works, to the point of not selling 
them because they despise them so much.
I am fortunate I guess because I can move past the mistakes and call them happy accidents.
 If there is something bothering me about a painting, I will put it to the side and visit it at a later date.
There are those time though when we must simply let them go.

Many years ago, I was teaching children's art lessons in oil painting.
These paintings were simple in nature, but completable in a lesson or two.
I had a pile of these paintings at a yard sale for $5 each.
I did sell a few, but many were still sitting there.
I got a pair of scissors and much to people's horror started punching holes in them 
and pulling off canvas to re-use the stretcher bars.
They simply were not my best works.
 I was tired of giving them space in my studio.
So, I destroyed them large and small.
Fortunately, I have not had to resort to drastic means like that in quite a while.

You see, there are "things" in our lives that either have hold on us, or us on them.
We can either carry them from place to place or find them homes.
I do have scripts and strokes paintings piling up from teaching at church.
Occasionally I'll sell one at a modest price or give them away as gifts.
I have also kept a few as my favorites.
I've had them at a yard sale as a fundraiser for Buy a Brick.
There was an entire box of them that a preacher happily took to his church for the grand sum of $20.
He was able to decorate his little congregation's space and freed up space in mine!
He was happy and so was I!
I am happy to let go of "things" that hold me down.

This octopus is another of the shadowboxes.
This was the last of the group from before.
I adore painting octopus every single time.
I have already begun working on the 22 new ones freshly stretched and painted white last week.
I'm also working on a five-piece set of turtles.

Preparing, Painting, Praying
One day closer to shows!
Freedom Festival is less than two weeks away in Orange Beach!

My slippery friend, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 12 x 36inches
Day 84 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2022 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment