Sunday, September 18, 2022

Turtle mania


So, over the past few weeks you've seen a LOT of sea turtles!
The reason is, I simply love painting them!
It also helps that people collect them.
I don't think I'll ever tire of painting them.

My mother once asked me if I got tired of painting crabs.
They are another sea creature I love to paint.
I told her no of course; I'll never tire of painting them.
I sure do miss her enthusiasm when I sold in her presence.
You could see the pride on her face and the pure love.

I almost didn't have 2D art as an income and pure joy.
You see as a child I painted in oils.
I absolutely loved creating, especially paint by number kits.
I was working on a large one in my room one day.
I closed my turpentine, put it in my drawer on the desk and shut the door.
My youngest brother went in my room, opened the desk, and the turpentine spilling it in the process.
My parents were horrified, thinking he had drunk the turpentine.
They threw everything in the garbage, and I was forbidden to paint after that.
I still drew a lot, and then the art went into another direction altogether.
I joined band, playing flute, piccolo when I could, and eventually Bassoon.
I also participated in theater at the high school level.
I learned how to sew and took to that like a duck to water.
I both performed and helped with costumes in theater.
I sang in choirs and joined a speech class as well.
Then after graduation, I met the love of my life.
We got married six months later.
I used my sewing skills to make money for several years both before and after children.
I got back into theater as well, making costumes for local performances in Mobile.
I also became a professional clown for several years.
Life was good, very good as my home-based business allowed me time to be a mom as well.
I worked with a couple of costume companies making Mardi Gras costumes too.

It was while making costumes at Mardi Gras time that I worked all night 
long and into the next morning to meet a deadline.
I came home took a nap and got ready for a birthday party that afternoon.
Got home from the party, cleaned up, and cooked dinner.
We ate pigs in blankets and french fries, the kids favorite and an easy dinner.
We decided to go to a Mardi Gras parade that night.
We got hit by a drunk driver that evening February 2nd, 1993.
I was turned sideways in the passenger seat talking to my husband when we were rear ended.
I checked everyone in the car, then I went to check on the driver of the other van.
I realized she was drunk, so drunk she was trying to leave.
Fortunately, other people at the scene prevented her from exiting the accident.
I went back to our van and realized my shoulder hurt like crazy 
and my right hand was somewhat numb.
Our two daughters and I were transported on backboards to the hospital.
My husband drove himself and our son to the emergency room to get checked out.
The kids and Chris checked out sore, but pretty much okay.
Not so much for me.
I have a side-to-side neck whiplash.
After a couple weeks went by, I finally had an answer.
2 herniated discs in my neck.
I also discovered several years later I had nerve damage in my right arm.
But God.......

I started back to painting about 6 months after the accident.
I started taking lessons, then teaching and working at the frame shop and art store next door.
I sold my first painting later that year.
Thus began the journey that is Brushstrokes & Brilliance.

You see I should not be able to paint the way that I do.
Some days are diamonds, some days are dirt.
All days I am grateful that we are all still here as a family.
I thank God every day for the little things in my life.
Most of all, I thank God for people that read this blog to know my story.
For that, I am eternally grateful and humbled.

Turtle Mania, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 16 x 16 inches
Day 83 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2022



 

No comments:

Post a Comment