Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Heron the hunter


Today's entry.
I learned something incredible about herons yesterday.
Appalling actually.
A photographer caught a Great Blue Heron in the act of hunting.
I've seen them eat a snake before.
We also saw one of our locals eat a tiny turtle while in the park one day.
Herons move very slowly when hunting, and bring their necks back to strike  at their prey.
They stand very still, watching the water for a possible fish snack.
This was not however what this heron caught.
There was a Momma mallard and her five ducklings swimming nearby.
One of the ducklings came too close and became a meal.
I would not have believed it, had I not looked at the photos.
I'm already scared of these beautiful creatures because I've had them swoop in 
while walking the beach for sea turtles at dawn.
They make the weirdest sound as well.
Creepy, fascinating, and now on my dangerous list even more!

I am one step closer to the Freedom Arts show at the Wharf today.
I've sent in my application and booth shot.
Now I wait for acceptance.
This show is a herculean task for the city of Orange beach, but I think they're going to pull it off!

Heron the hunter, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 16 x 16
Day 78 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment