Friday, September 17, 2021

Octopus rising


Today was interesting.
I love days like today.
Most of the day was spent cleaning the studio, putting things away.
I am clearing out in preparation for Mardi Gras work.
It also means a great time spent with our oldest daughter while creating.
In my former life, I was a professional seamstress, making anything from bridal attire to business suits.
Other times I was creating costumes or pageant wear.
Mardi Gras was a large part of my creativity until a drunk driver hit us at a stoplight.

After the wreck, the children were scared to ride for a while in the back of the van with good reason. 
Everyone else recovered quickly from soreness, but me not so much.
A month later the MRI said why.
Two herniated discs in my neck between C4-5 and C5-6.
Numbness in my two outer fingers on my right hand.
It was not until years later when still having issues, 
that I talked with a chiropractor who was also a friend.
I asked him, is this nerve damage and he said probably.
The seat belt had most likely yanked everything out of place.
I live with it every day.
Some days are diamonds, some days are dirt.
Some day even, I may have to look at surgery.
Hopefully not for a long time though!
I say this not to get people to feel sorry for me.

I say this because I am a conqueror.
Prayer has helped a lot along this dusty road we call life.
I should not be able to paint the way that I can at all.
Granted some days the brush flies from my hand, 
others the headaches are so intense it's hard to function.
Most days God grants me the ability to create in ways I never had before.
Other days he slows me down to remind me to stop and smell the roses.
Every day is a great day because I choose joy!

Octopus rising, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 16 x 16
Day 81 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2021


 

No comments:

Post a Comment