Saturday, September 7, 2019

I'm taking an "off" day!


Well!
As promised I am posting the other side of creativity around here.
This was obviously Una Lou's birthday party held today.
I left the house at about 8:15, grabbed a bite to eat, then headed for the party venue in Mobile.
When I arrived, my daughter was not there, but I dove into bringing in the panels and setting them up because we were using them as a base for the decorations.
I used fishing line to secure them to the poles and zip ties to hook them together top and bottom.
By then Jessica arrived and the fun began!
She had the fabrics for draping, the coral pieces, the large padded shell, (pictured above) 
and the clam shell throne.
I moved on to assembling the throne, because it involved more zip ties, wood pieces 
and then the cardboard shell.
I then draped it with fabric, pulling it up into the assembly to make poofs 
at the edge where the base met the shell.
I then continued draping the present table, making a large shell, and bow from fabric.
So fun!
I built the padded shell this week, engineered and assembled the throne, and Jessica's dad cut the pool noodles into coral pieces and parts.
Truly a family affair.
Meanwhile, Jessica and Jordan went to become mermaids for the party.
I got a call a few minutes later.
Mom I need help with costumes!
I went to the apartment where they were getting ready and proceeded to basically assemble their costumes using dozens of  safety pins.
It went against every bone in my body to pin, but there was no time to sew.
I literally was pinning the costumes while they were putting on makeup.
Everything held during the party, and no mermaids were harmed in the process.

My beautiful daughter makes me feel young and energetic!
So fun!
The color palette was precious and pretty too.
The coral reefs were made in Baking pans, using pool noodles, mini cupcake papers, real shells, grasses, styrofoam balls, skewers, spray foam and paint. Painted with spray paint and glitter of course! 
They were weighted down with cups of water!

The birthday girl in her throne.
The shrimp are from when I did the Mystic Mutts parade as a mermaid.
This is the shrimps third go round!
The sea turtle is a costume that Jessica and I built that actually went to 
New Zealand for the World of Wearable Art competition about 10 years ago. 
The shell is on a backpack, the costume is black light reactive, and the head is a bicycle helmet!
An adult wears the costume on top of a full body suit and the flippers are 
moved with dowels that attach to them.
It was wonderful to see Myrtle the Turtle out of the box again!

After I got home, I crashed in my pool after I cleaned it!
However, the nap I wanted never showed up, and the hot bath I wanted was tepid.
We then took the rottens, (dachshunds) for their evening ride.
After dropping them off at the house, we picked up a chicken and sides from the store.
After dinner, I cut up the box of mat board scraps I got from the artist's studio yesterday.
I now have a large amount of 5x7s, 8x10s, and most importantly, 11x14s!
The rest will be recycled.

I love working so hard with my daughter in creative chaos.
Our lives are so unimaginably crazy, and I wouldn't take anything for them!
So, I hope you don't mind if I take an "off" day!

"Off" Day, Day 68 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019 
























No comments:

Post a Comment