Saturday, September 14, 2019

Sea below


Yet another poured background is the basis for this piece.
I am praying they will be successful when we start actually doing shows.
This one was the main painting poured, with several smaller ones coming from the excess paint.
I am trying to be a good steward of my supplies, so I don't want to let any paint go to waste.
Consequently, I have a lot of backgrounds poured already.
Small and large some in between.
The studio is filled with them and shadowboxes!
I can barely move in my space to work.

Today's piece, "Sea Below" is a testimony to my favorite animal, the sea turtle.
See the Sea Below the beauty.
We need to take care of our seas, they provide a lot of oxygen, and tons of food.
Unfortunately, our seas have become a place of toxic wastes.
Runoff from fields going into streams, causing algae blooms that kill the animals that live within.
Excess garbage, that is carelessly tossed, ending up in our oceans.
The amount of plastic in our seas is staggering, almost incomprehensible in it's sheer volume.
We are using more plastic than ever. 
BTW, every single piece of plastic ever produced is still on our planet in one form or another!
8 million pieces of plastic end up in our oceans every single day.
Take that in folks!
Two thirds of it comes from land based sources.
Litter dropped in cities, industry spills, badly managed garbage sites or flushed down the toilet.
The rest is fishing gear or containers washed overboard from ships.
What plastic that is not floating is resting on the bottom.
Microscopic particles are finding their way into our food chain.
1 in 3 fish caught for human consumption now contain plastic.
Kinda sobering to me.
I teach kids about plastic recycling and making art from refuse instead of simply tossing it.
My precious husband is also becoming more recycle conscious.
I have started small, refusing straws as much as possible.
There are about 390 million straws used in the US every day.
The next step for us, will be refusing foam food containers as they will never degrade.
I plan to start bringing my own containers when we go out to eat.
I have also started using Norwex products, in an effort to make a chemical free home.
Small steps now, becoming larger steps later may begin to turn the "tide".
Eco friendly containers may become Christmas presents this year as well.

Sea Below, Acrylic on canvas, 16 x 20 inches
Day 75 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment