Thursday, September 19, 2019

Keeping a watchful eye


Today begins a new series of outdoor art pieces.
This one is on a piece of recycled Hardiboard from our porch addition this past spring.
Our house is only 1050 square feet, with 500 of the footage being my beautiful studio upstairs.
We live in 550 square feet. 
The porch added another 250 for outdoor living.
My studio area is perfect for me!
I have a half bath, sewing area, plentiful tables, storage galore, computer, printer, and easel for creating.
It's a lot of art fitted into a small space. 
I am extremely grateful for my large studio, at least compared to what others have told me they create in!
 thank God every day for a husband that loves me enough to give me space for creating.
I love him to the moon and back!
So much, I got rid of a ton of recycled art supplies and cleared space in the barn for his studio.
His studio fills the back of the barn, 12 x 24 feet.
He is a wood turner and he is so happy in his "Studio".
When we built his space, we added a mezzanine above for my recycled art supplies, 
decorations for holidays, and general storage for the girls.
Last year, he added the coolest ladder to get to the top. 
It can slide in flat, or angle out making it much easier to get things up and down.
We also have things up there for future projects, one of which was used just in the past week.
We had found a cabinet while "dumpster diving " last week.
I cleaned it up and told him, this is for cooking out, and BBQ.
I knew he wanted a sink out there, so we pulled a cabinet from the upstairs 
and added a sink we bought at a yard sale.
All told, the sink and cabinet were about $40 total.

Anyway I digress.....
The Hardiboard came from the back of our home when we did the porch.
I've had several people ask about outdoor art and this is my solution, using something that can withstand the elements. (and maybe not mildew like canvases will!)
Anyway, I did not smooth it out, (I have a friend that does with a slurry and a totally different style of art!)
I left the texture, so it looks like wood without deteriorating like wood.
My husband is contemplating putting resin on it.
Hmmmm......
I don't know about that, I may have to consult with my friend in Mississippi.
Still , a poured background and the holes from nails. (it is after all, recycled)
I drilled additional holes and will add a wire after we varnish or resin.

That's another day though!

Keeping a watchful eye, Acrylic on Hardiboard, approx. 12x 12
Day 80 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment