Saturday, September 28, 2019

Mystical Mermaid IV & V


Mystical Mermaids indeed!
Our day yesterday was rather hectic, so I was just too tired to post.
It started with us getting breakfast and walking the dogs for 30 minutes.
Once home, we kept pups inside and moved the van to the barn.
We flipped seats, made a cargo bed, added plastic from the roll around projects from Winn Dixie.
The large plastic sheets make it easier to slide the equipment into the van.
We put the shelf units in that we bought last year, making a raised platform for the tent, sides, and other show pieces into the van. 
We then moved the van to the front door, releasing the hounds after we shut the gates.
I moved on to bringing down the multiple bags of artworks into the living room and then outside.
We loaded the art into the van so that we still had space for more if needed.
We locked up the van and got lunch, Chris took a nap, while I painted the afternoon away.
At 4pm we went and picked up the packet for the show and I told them we would be setting up later.
After going home, I went back to the studio for a bit, and then got a shower.
At 6pm, Chris took me to church for a women's event.
It was a lovely time, and I hate that I missed the Worship portion.
At 8pm we headed to the show site, and just as we predicted most were gone and zipped up for the night.
We were able to leisurely set up, with our only issue being the darkness.
We put up the main artworks, then zipped down ourselves for some well deserved rest.
We got home just about 10pm and got showers again.
Bedtime was about 10:30.
I woke up at 1am then again at 4am. 

I gave up at that point.
It gave me a chance to read my Bible and other readings for today.
We headed down after breakfast and at dawn, to finish setting up before the show started at 10am.
Set up went smoothly, with us having fans to try and keep us cool.
The fans did not work so well in the cooling department.
Kinda hard to cool down almost 90 degrees!
It's September Lord, can't we have a little fall?
Apparently not.
The day wore on,
 with lots of people complimenting my work, 
telling me how gorgeous it is,
 how my prices are reasonable,
all this while the sweat trickles down my back.
I tried to keep upbeat as the afternoon moved on,
More people, 
more compliments,
me thanking people for coming into the booth,
me trying to engage folks in conversations.
I celebrate my neighbors having sales!
There are purchases being made!
Large paintings go down the walkway, under the arms of eager patrons.
Late afternoon, and the heat becomes more intense because the sun is beating down into the booth.
I move my chair as I don't relish a sunburn this weekend.
More people, except now all of the Alabama and Auburn fans have melted away to game day parties.
Everyone is eating ice cream, drinking cold drinks, iced coffees, lemonades and other things cold to drink.
I myself have downed several bottles of water, a bottle of tea, and a soft drink.
Meanwhile, I talk to folks coming in, trying to steer the conversations away from the heat.
Why do I tell you this so vividly?
I want you to know something that most artists keep a secret.
We are frustrated trying to figure out pricing, what to paint, how to paint, etc..
All the months of labor, lovingly packed and hung for people to see.
Booth fees, jury fees, and other expenses.
Today saw this woman have not ONE single sale.....

I have prayed this afternoon for others to have been more fortunate.
I found out at the artists reception that there were others not making anything either.
God always watches out for me, he watches out for you too!
We are to turn to him in times of trouble like this.
God is testing me for sure!
The heat, no sales make for one unhappy artist at times.
I ask God, what are you teaching me?
Patience.
Persistence.
Provision.
Lord I hear you!
He's got my back, and I know he's got yours too!

Happy swimming!

Mystical Mermaids IV & V, Acrylic on poured background, each 4x12 inches
Days 88 and 89 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2019






No comments:

Post a Comment