Friday, July 24, 2020

Splendid Day!




You ever have one of those days?
Not a bad one, but one of the good ones?
Today was one of those days.........

I taught a class last night and was too tired to post the jellyfish.
This was the first class I've taught in months, and it felt SO GOOD!
We had 9 lovely watercolor turtles leave the Stewart Heath Gallery saying they'll be back for more!
Such a fun class, although a bit awkward teaching in a mask and not touching other peoples brushes.
It's all a learning process!
The jellyfish are also hanging at the Stewart Heath Gallery along with the Herons in love II.
The gallery also sold one of my sepia paintings today.
The octopus found a new home!


This is today's painting.
I am absolutely entranced with these hardi bord pieces.
This background is pearl and ivory and is just lovely.
The sepia paintings will be very pretty on these bases.

A couple of days ago, (Wednesday to be precise) this popped up in marketplace.
I asked Chris if he thought this would be pretty on the back porch.
He agreed yes it would.
I loved the copper and metal contrast.
The price was $25.
I asked if it was still available and it was pending.
I was disappointed, but sometimes you just miss out on the good deals.
This evening I received a message asking if I still wanted it.
I asked for the address in Spanish fort and off we went!
I knew it was large from the photo that showed a measuring tape next to it.
We arrived, and I got my mask and was greeted by a precious little dog running in the yard.
I saw the turtle on the porch and went to the door.
Not wanting to leave cash outside, I rang the bell.
She took the money and said do you want the other turtle, you can have it.
They were both heavy, and a quick glance looked like they were handmade.
I put them in the back of the car, Chris handed the lady her dog. 
(She was trying to go with us!) 
Off we went.
I was very happy with my purchase.
I told Chris I thought they were handmade.
He said "No I doubt it."
I was no less pleased with my purchase.
Then we got home after picking up ice cream.

After arriving home, we unloaded the turtles into the house and I examined them.
The one with copper was SIGNED!
PA Blackwell 11/2011
I looked at the other turtle, but while I could make out that it was signed as well, 
it was very hard to read.
In the meantime, I looked up Blackwell.
Fine Art America
The turtle like this currently sells for $400.00!
Looking at the signature, I believe the PA stands for Peter Anderson because the date is 11/2011.
The other turtle had me very curious now.
I took it to the sink, and looked again.
After careful peering I found the area that looked like a signature and turned it in the light.
I knew it was 06,  because that was easy to see.
When I finally realized what the signature was, I let out another whoopie!
Frank Ledbetter.
This is one of his earlier pieces as it is made of steel, not aluminum like they are now.
It is also hand painted with enamel paint I think.
His pieces are harder to nail down price wise, but we bought a smaller turtle 10 years ago for $100.00

Needless to say, I am one happy artist!
TWO art pieces for the price of ONE!
I will go to sleep with a smile tonight for sure!
Dreaming of sea turtles................


Blackwell piece



Frank Ledbetter piece

Jellyfish, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 14 x 36
Day 25 
Sepia sea turtle, Acrylic on hardibord, 10 x 10 inches
Day 26 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2020

1 comment: