Thursday, July 21, 2022

Babies, babies, everywhere IV


Baby turtles IV
I am still shaking my head over this one!
When I posted the first one, I had an immediate response asking for size and price.
I had to tell her it was already sold, as well as the one I was posting the next day.
The birthday girl got her babies today and was totally surprised.
Her husband did a great job, contacting me for the commission and picking up promptly.
She commissioned one and said if I had two....
Here's number two for her.
She's on the share the beach team with me.
We have an obsession with baby turtles for sure!

Yesterday the orange beach team was in an uproar.
One of our nests had been vandalized.
My phone and Chris's too was blowing up all day with angry turtle people.
The police were called.
The Fish and Wildlife were called.
The Feds were called.
Yes folks, messing with an endangered species nest that is clearly marked is a federal offense!
Imagine having a criminal record permanently because you vandalized a turtle nest.
Fortunately, the eggs were not affected, as the vandals did not get to them.
Hopefully they will hatch soon and have a lot of happy turtle people.

Today's phone blow up was because a nest hatched earlier than expected.
We used to sit on watch 24/7 when it got close to the time.
This nest was checked at 9:30 and was pretty quiet.
These little stinkers decided 11:30 at night was a fun time to go to the water.
Problem is, some of them were found headed away from the water.
People were calling the hotline, saying they had turtles running everywhere apparently.
It was only a partial hatch, though.
There are more waiting to come up to the surface.
More excitement on the way.
Each baby turtle has about a 1% chance of surviving to adulthood to have babies of their own.
So, every single one is important...


Things are happening in the studio as well.
I purchased a couple dozen small wood rounds because they are easy to transport and paint.
Before I can paint on them, they must be prepped.
First a layer of Kilz, then white Acrylic paint.
It's a lot to do, but necessary work in order to create.
I did get upset a few years back when Baldwin County made me but a manufacturers license.
This is more expensive than a transient artist license.
I said quietly that I am not a manufacturer, I'm a painter.
"Mam you take canvas that is blank and paint on it right?"
I bought the license.
I don't always feel like a manufacturer, but today I do when I purchase so many supports ahead.
Then have to paint them.
Never a dull moment.

All this and the Covid bug has visited us again!
(Not me, Chris)
Wear your masks people, this new variant is getting past everything!

Baby turtle IV, Acrylic on shadowbox canvas, 12 x 24 inches
Day 24 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2022



 

No comments:

Post a Comment