Saturday, July 16, 2022

Crab trio


I have sold a version of this painting last year, at the Jubilee Festival (I think!)
This past year of sales has been good to me, allowing me to bless others and tithe to my church.
I can then purchase equipment needed to make the canvas stretcher bars.
Brad nail gun to put frames together.
Stapler and compressor, and thousands of staples.
The air stapler came about because I kept destroying electric staple guns, either burning them up or they just bounced too much leaving a staple sticking up.
The I had to pound them down using a hammer, taking more time and causing much noise.
Chris's solution was to get me an air stapler and compressor.
The compressor is really loud, but I wear ear protection while using it.
Then comes canvas to cover them.
I typically buy 6-yard rolls, so that I can get several canvases from the roll.
Each canvas takes an average of 30 minutes just to stretch it.
I then paint them white using acrylic paint.
Then they are carefully stacked with plastic in between to keep them from sticking.
I then select the one I want, draw and paint on it.
This typically takes a day.
The resulting artwork then has to be varnished and have a wire put on it.
It's a long, complicated process, that I could not do without my 
beloved husband and partner of almost 44 years.
This spring the shadowboxes even got an award in Florida!
The painting was of humpback whales, but the judges loved the uniqueness of the canvas.
I had Chris pose with me for a photo, because the award was as much his as mine!

These guys are fun to paint, albeit a little tricky.
The blending of the back of the piece with the front and the sides fascinates people and gives me a pain in my neck. 
I do love these canvases so much!
I really didn't expect them to last so long as a series.
But I didn't expect the sepia series to be going on ten years either!

Crab trio, Acrylic on canvas, 12 x 36 inches
Day 19 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2022

 

No comments:

Post a Comment