Saturday, July 23, 2022

Bring home Dinner!


"Bring home Dinner!"

These magnificent birds do eat a lot every day, up to two pounds of fish!
I've personally seen one swallow a baby turtle and an eel!
The Great Blue Heron is an amazing creature.
They can stand up to 45-54 inches tall.
Their wingspan ranges from 65-79 inches in width.
They can live for 15 years.
They live in a colony of up to ten birds, but only one breeding pair.
The thing I find most fascinating, is that they have specialized feathers on their chest 
that grow continuously and fray into a powder.
This powder can be used to clean off fish slime!

I know you've seen them, especially if you fish.
They can be very aggressive, taking fish off the line as you're reeling them in!
I am intimidated by their sheer size myself.
The most amazing thing is, there is one just like it in Zimbabwe, Africa.
I was teaching while on mission one day and saw a large bird out the window.
Turns out, this bird is called a Goliath Heron!
They are browner in color than ours here on the coast.
Isn't it wonderful how God works?
A bird exactly like ours shows up in Africa while I'm teaching on mission!
I'm still shaking my head on that one!

Bring home Dinner!, Acrylic on canvas, 16 x 40
Day 26 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2022


 

No comments:

Post a Comment