Saturday, August 6, 2022

Flying Jewel box III


I am having a great deal of fun working both on birds and in color.
But, to the sepias I must return because I love them so much!
For now though, colorful birds fly from my brushes.
This series are encased in vintage sewing machine drawers from treadle machines.
My precious husband is able to dismantle the machines that are typically rusted and locked up.
He uses the base to make beautiful tables.
Our son uses the machine itself to make steampunk lamps.
Some of the internal workings of the machines are in my studio for steampunk inspiration.
I am able to use the drawers, slides, and pulls to make miniature shadowbox frames.
My husband takes each drawer, and cuts them into thirds.
Typically each machine gets me 24-28 frames.
They are then backed with recycled wood panels from a skateboard ramp.
Painted with Kilz, then painted white.
Some of these machines have not seen the light of day for many years.
Some have veneer that is in rough shape.
Most are in storage, covered in dust.
They are receiving new life as little pieces of art in a recycling way.
I love them!
I hope you do as well!

Flying jewel box III, Acrylic on recycled wood, 5x15 inches
Day 40 of the 100 days~100 paintings 2022


 

No comments:

Post a Comment